Well, I’ve just learned something new. Quite possibly the entire Silhouette community already knows this but I’ll share anyway because it may be useful to someone else.
I blogged a set of free Print & cut Files and shared the Studio cut file. But I was a little confused when a reader commented that they loved the tags but asked which font I used as they didn’t have it on their computer.
This is what I designed and uploaded:
To investigate I downloaded the Silhouette software onto my Husband’s laptop. Men don’t seem to have font fetishes and he has only the basic fonts that came preloaded on the computer. I opened up the file and this is what I saw and what my reader must have downloaded:
Aaargh! Not a very inspiring design!
I had a feeling it was to do with paths and after trying a few different options which made no difference, I right clicked on the Text and selected the “Convert to path” option. I was no longer able to edit the text although I could still ungroup it, resize, move it, edit points – that sort of thing – just couldn’t change the words anymore – luckily there were no typos.
My understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) is that it converts your text into an “image” so even if the font isn’t installed on the computer it still shows up correctly. I tested it again on the Hubby’s Laptop and it showed up exactly as I’d designed it. WooHoo!
Incidentally, the font is Lavenderia Sturdy and I’ve uploaded the amended Cut file and you can get it here
Thanks to Carmen for the query – if not for that I’d still be doing it wrong 🙂