Look at Me! Ummm.. except that’s not me – that’s my lovely daughter 🙂
When I bought my last cutting mat I couldn’t resist adding an extra to my Shopping Cart and I treated myself to a roll of Frosted Vinyl. I thought using the vinyl would be great for when I didn’t want to commit to a permanent finish and it would be more forgiving than Etching Cream if I messed it up….I mean I could just rip it off and start again!
I made a pattern in the Silhouette software to decorate a Mirror- It’s a simple oval and triangle which I’ve welded together to make a speech bubble. I’ve offset it and added text using the “Great Vibes” font. (Free File link at bottom of post)
I did a mock up on paper first and roughly cut it out and taped it to the mirror to make sure that it was the right size. It was 🙂
Next I cut the vinyl on my machine. I didn’t use the mat and had to adjust my rollers on the Cameo to hold the vinyl in place as the roll is only 9 inches wide. I used the exact settings recommended in the software for Silhouette Brand Vinyl which is Blade 2, Speed 8, Thickness 9. It cut perfectly.
The weeding was really quick – the background came away in two parts leaving just a few pieces to be weeded from the letters. So far so good………
I cut around the backing close to the design and applied the transfer paper, burnishing it with the back of a teaspoon. The backing came away nicely until I got to the letters – the backing paper did not want to give them up! I persevered slowly and carefully and kept burnishing the stubborn parts onto the transfer paper as best I could, it took an extra few minutes but it worked Ok in the end.
Here it is with the transfer paper on the mirror.
I burnished it some more with the back of a teaspoon and an old credit card and was relieved when the transfer paper came off easily and the vinyl stayed behind on the glass.
I was happy until….I saw this….
There were a couple of tiny creases and an air bubble. I smoothed the creases with my fingernail but the air bubble wasn’t going anywhere. I even pricked it with a pin which made no difference and burnished it to try and lead the air to the edge to escape. No Go!
In the end, I lifted the pointy bit of the design and peeled it back as far as the air bubble, then stretched it out a smidge and smoothed it all back down. It did the trick but I created a new problem – the end point where I lifted it was now dog-earred and not sticking. Ooops!
With my exacto knife and using my old credit card as a ruler I gently sliced away a slither of vinyl to form a new point. If I ever take this decal off I’ll find out if I’ve scratched the surface of mirror with the blade. Hope not, I was careful! 🙂
Here’s the Silhouette Studio Cut File. Change the settings to suit the vinyl you are using.
This post is part of “The Silhouette Challenge” where fellow bloggers participate in a monthly challenge to create a new project with their Silhouette Machine.
Please check out the links below to see what everyone else has created in the last month.