I hope you get some use out of this free cutting file. We’ve had the opportunity to use it for 4 wedding gifts in the past 6 months so it’s come in really handy for us.
The cutting file for the money folder itself is pretty simple but I’m also going to show you how to personalize it for your Bride and Groom from within Silhouette Studio to make it a little bit more special.
I made it to fit $100 Aussie dollar notes but I believe it’s the right size for US Dollars too. Just check the size of your currency first and adjust the size if needed.”
Here’s an inside view:
About the File
It’s a bit of an unusual file as although it’s a Print and Cut, I don’t use any registration marks. If the registration marks are turned on then the design won’t fit on a A4 or Letter size page. Instead I use the Align tools and the “Center to page” option.
To add to the challenge it’s a double sided design with text on the inside as well as the outside of the folder. Intrigued?….read on 🙂
How to set up the text – Outside of Folder.
- Choose your font – For my most recent Wedding folder (pictured), I used Amigirl Script which is a paid font. If you don’t have it, choose another script font you like. Here’s some free calligraphy script fonts.
- I have used Edwardian Font in the File though, I believe it came already installed on my computer, so there’s a good chance you have that one already.
- A picture is worth a thousand words – this is how the folder is arranged and folded.
And how I set up the text so it is up the right way when the folder is folded!
- Type out the names of the happy couple using the font of your choice. This is Edwardian Script ITC.
- Select the text and click the offset button from along the top menu. The offset panel will open on side of your screen
- Select Offset and change the settings to Distance: 0.0125inches or 0.030cm Select: “Round” and click “apply” It will look like this
- with the offset still selected as above, group the boxes together. Change the Fill & Line colour to White.
- Select both the grey text and the white offset and group them together. I like how it softens the look of the text against the water colour background.
- You are now free to move, resize or rotate the text element. Use the pics for The Layout Arrangements and Text Layout Arrangement above as a guide to placement.
- In the Align Settings – Select the Text Boxes and the Folder and click “Align Centre”, then group together
- With the design selected, click “Centre to Page” at the bottom of the Align Settings.
- Select the water colour background and Click “Centre to Page” again
- You may notice that there are no fold lines. I prefer to use a scoring board but add fold lines if you like.
- Print on Card stock.
Here’s a view of the reverse of the folder.
To Print on the Inside of the Folder.
- Copy and paste the grouped design and move the copy off the mat. (this is just insurance is case anything goes awry in the nexr steps!) Working on the original that is still centred to the page, ungroup and delete everything except the folder outline and background.
- Type your message and offset as per the instructions above and position your new message as in the images below. When folded, the money will cover the message which will be revealed when the notes are removed.
- Align Centre and set the text to No Cut. Set the folder outline to cut.
- Select & Group The Text and Folder Outline. In Align Settings check “Centre to page” Repeat to Align the background to Centre of page.
- Load your printer so that this will print on the reverse side of the card stock. Each printer is different so it may be worth doing a test page with copy paper to see the correct way to load your paper to print on the reverse. Watch your printer carefully when printing the first side taking note of how you loaded it and the direction the page comes out of the printer. Move the water colour background off the mat to save ink while you do any test print outs.
- Load the cutting machine: Place the double sided printout on the cutting mat with the inside folder view facing upwards (as in pic). Line it up carefully along the top and left side of the mat and send to cut.
- Fold the folder, add money and secure with a paper or card belly band or ribbon.
There you go, you just completed a double sided print and cut with no registration marks. Yay – it worked!
I went on and created a matching card. I used my Braided Edge Card design as the base and decorated it with textured panels.