I’m sharing these Geometric Cutting shapes today. Geometrics are right on trend at the moment and I love the clean contemporary look of these faux 3D designs. I cut these with vinyl to use as a stencil to decorate some cork coasters. There’s 4 different designs included, so you can make a set!
These coasters were quite easy – no painting involved! So if you want to try them out here’s how…
How I Did it…
- You will need: Silhouette Cutting Machine, Permanent Markers, Set of Coasters, Vinyl or Contact, Weeding Tool. Transfer paper or painter’s tape.
- My coasters were 10cm diameter, so the patterns & circle included in the file will fit that. If your coasters are a different size then make the cutting circle around the shapes slightly smaller than your coaster size and adjust the shape size as needed to fit inside it.
- Cut the shapes from the vinyl, (I used contact paper which I had on hand) remove the backing paper and transfer the vinyl to your coasters. I didn’t weed the design at this stage. I used couple of strips of blue painter’s tape to transfer my design and keep it all intact. First, I unstickied (I don’t think that’s a real word) the tape slightly by sticking it against my clothes a couple of times.
- Once the vinyl was on the coaster, I removed the tape very carefully and weeded the vinyl – taking out the shape and leaving the surrounds. I had to re-stick a few of those tiny internal bits back on the cork – they didn’t want to let go of the painter’s tape!
- Colour in the exposed cork using the permanent markers.
- The Big Reveal! Remove the vinyl and WooHoo – all done 🙂
- Now, here’s an optional step: Colour in the sides of the coasters with the Permanent marker. The coaster at the front is done like this, but I haven’t done the others. I’m still deciding which look I prefer. What do you think?
The Silhouette Studio Cutting Files
Don’t want to make coasters? Then you could cut these designs from card stock in any colour you like to make cute hanging decorations. Or make awesome wall decals by cutting the designs from vinyl.
What would you use a geometric design like this for?
Here’s the Cutting File for Geometric Shapes V3 (Test Cuts done with this file)
Here’s the Cutting File for Geometric Shapes V2
great idea – TY!
Shana Raisman says
I was trying to download these files and it won’t let me when I click on the link.
Not sure what the issue is Shana, they’ve downloaded just now for me. They are set up to automatically download – I’m on windows 10 and they should go right to your download folder and I generally get a pop up asking what program I’d like to open the files with. On a Mac they go to the download folder as far as I know.
However, I’m happy to email the file to you. Reply to this comment and let me know if you want the V2 or V3 version of the files and I’ll email them to you instead 🙂